Generative, Audiovisual Installation, Surround Sound.
KARMA is a non-linear installation, in which faceless humanoid figures are suspended in endless free fall, seemingly incapable of re-gaining control, floating, tumbling and often jolting as if hit with electric shocks.
Karma is incidentally the name of the physics simulator used in Unreal Engine 3 to simulate a realistic sense of gravity and kinetic forces.
Motions of the characters are continously recorded and subsequently synthesize the ambient soundscape. Each figure / acts like a discrete musical instrument and all together are a virtual ensemble. Their translated "motions and emotions" result in a symphonic, droning, pulsing sound.
KARMA / cell – Production Credits
© Kurt Hentschlager
- Commissioned by LE FRESNOY - Studio national des arts contemporains
- Max & Unreal Scripting Michael Ferraro
- 3D Modeling, Rigging, Texturing & Shading, Richard Le Bihan
- Production Isabelle Bohnke
- Thanks to Claudia Hart, Friedrich Kirschner, Stephane Dalbera, Eric Pringent, Christophe Kihm